Rankings for 2019
- Livability.com has placed Roanoke on its 2019 list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America.
Rankings for 2018
- The career experts at Zippia.com, ranked the Roanoke metro area as the 10th best job market in the U.S. for 2018.
- Roanoke County is the 99th healthiest community in the U.S., according to the U.S. News 2018 Healthiest Communities Rankings.
- 5 Roanoke County Public Schools received the 2018 Board of Education Excellence Award and 7 received the 2018 Board of Education Distinguished Achievement Award.
- Roanoke County received the designation as a top 10 mid-size Community in the Nation for 2017 through the National Fourth Economy Community Index.
- Roanoke makes the list of 25 U.S. Cities That Millennials Can Afford and Actually Want to Live In.
Rankings for 2016
- The Governor’s Technology Awards program recognizes public sector information technology (IT) projects that have improved government service delivery andefficiency. The Mountain Valley Pipeline Viewer developed by Roanoke County won an award in the "IT as Efficiency Driver - Government to Citizen" category.
- Roanoke County’s Site Selector Application Wins 2016 NACo Achievement Award.
- Roanoke County schools earn 2015 Virginia Index of Performance (VIP) awards.
- Roanoke was ranked among the top markets for starting a new business by NerdWallet. Ranked 22nd out of 183 metro markets considered, Roanoke was the top market in the state of Virginia.
- Roanoke was featured as one of the 10 best destinations for a weekend mountain bike getaway by Singletracks. Ranking the Roanoke Region third on the list of weekend mountain biking getaways, the site mentions that only a truly dedicated rider could ever hit all the trails Roanoke has to offer on a 3-day trip.
- U.S. News and World Report’s 2015 Best High Schools Rankings has awarded 2 Roanoke County High Schools with silver medals. Cave Spring High School was ranked 29th among Virginia high schools and 936th nationally. Glenvar High School was ranked 48th in Virginia and 2,256th in the U.S. There are 327 high schools in Virginia and 21,150 in the U.S.
- Roanoke was named one of the top twenty southern cities for jobs, a new ranking by the site ZipRecruiter. Ranking in at number seven, ZipRecruiter notes that Roanoke’s strategic location in the center of the East Coast promotes a thriving transportation industry allowing for overnight deliveries to most markets in the Southeast, Northeast, and Mid-Atlantic. The site notes the primary role of healthcare and manufacturing in supporting the region’s economy.